The Governing body acts as a critical friend of the school. They work closely with the headteacher and make decisions collectively as a team. They conduct their business through meetings, using relevant documents and advice from the headteacher for guidance.
The Governing body meets twice a term as a whole body, and at least once a term in committees.
The legal responsibilities of the Governing body are to:
- Help raise standards of education and achievement
- Plan the school’s future direction
- Take general responsibility for the conduct of the school
- Manage the school budget, including staff numbers and pay
- Make sure the curriculum is balanced and broadly based, and that National Curriculum is taught
- Set targets of achievement
- Report National Curriculum assessments and examination results to parents
- Decide how the school encourages pupils’ spiritual, moral and cultural development
- Making sure the school provides for all its pupils, including those with special needs
- They are accountable to parents and the wider community for the school’s performance
- Draw an action plan after an Ofsted inspection
- Appoint the headteacher and participate in the appointment of senior staff;
- Regulate staff conduct and discipline.
The Governing body consists of:
- 2 Parents, elected by the parents
- 1 Staff elected by the staff
- 1 is the Headteacher
- 1 LA nominated by Lambeth Council
- 10 co-opted by the Governing Body
When there is a vacancy for a parent-governor, all parents are informed, and asked if they wish to join. If there are more applicants than places, a secret ballot is arranged.
How To Contact The Governors
To contact the Chair of Governors please leave a letter at the school office; the letter will be forwarded immediately. At the moment, parent governors can also be contacted through the school office.
LEA governors are appointed by Lambeth Council, and community governors are co-opted to bring additional experience to the governing body. If you would be interested in becoming a community governor, you can find further information in the Lambeth website.
Please click on the following links for Head Teachers reports to Governors during the 2018-19 academic year: